Memories from the Microphone
A Century of Baseball Broadcasting (Baseball History, Baseball Announcers)
Voices of the Game
Curt Smith is “…the voice of authority on baseball broadcasting.” —USA Today
#1 New Release in Photography, Baseball Statistics, Photo Essays, and Photojournalism
In this second in a series of Baseball Hall of Fame books, celebrate the larger-than-life role played by radio and TV baseball announcers in enhancing the pleasure of our national pastime.
Commemorate the 100th anniversary of baseball broadcasting. The first baseball game ever broadcast on radio was on August 5, 1921 by Harold Wampler Arlin, a part-time baseball announcer on Pittsburgh’s KDKA, America’s first commercially licensed radio station. The Pirates defeated the Phillies 8-5.
An insider’s view of baseball. Now you can own Memories from the Microphone and experience baseball from author Curt Smith. He has spent much of his life covering baseball radio and TV, and previously authored baseball books including the classic Voices of The Game.
Relive baseball’s storied past through the eyes of famed baseball announcers. Organized chronologically, Memories from the Microphone charts the history of baseball broadcasting. Enjoy celebrated stories and personalities that have shaped the game—from Mel Allen to Harry Caray, Vin Scully to Joe Morgan, Ernie Harwell to Red Barber.
- Images from the Baseball Hall of Fame’s matchless archive
- A multi-layered narrative exploring cultural, technological, and economic trends that changed fans’ experience of the game
- Anecdotes and quotes from Curt Smith’s original research
- Interviews with broadcast greats
- Little-known stories, such as Ronald Reagan calling games for WHO Des Moines in the 1930s
- Accounts of diversity in baseball broadcasting, including the TV coverage of Joe Morgan and earlier Hispanic pioneers Buck Canel and Rafael (Felo) Ramirez
- A special section devoted to the Ford C. Frick Award and inductees since its inception in 1978
Also read the first in the series of Baseball Hall of Fame books Picturing America’s Pastime.